Vadim Grows Private Equity List to $2K MRR in 12 Months
Table of Contents
- Tell us about your product and what inspired you to start it?
- How long did it take you to acquire your first 50 customers, and what was your growth strategy?
- Which technology stack are you using and what challenges and limitations does it pose?
- What are some of the most essential tools that you use for your business?
- What have been some of the biggest insights you've gained since starting your entrepreneurial journey?
- Your recommended books/podcasts/newsletters etc.:
- What other products are you working on?
Vadim Zhirkov is the founder of Private Equity List - Freemium private equity and venture capital database
Private Equity List - freemium database that features over 5500+ PE, VC investors and is aimed at finding investors in 3 clicks without distracting the user with irrelevant information (news, analytics).
Due to my work as VC I need to have fast and most complete PE/VC list to find potential investors for my portfolio companies and my clients (a lot of them come from non-US/EU regions) everyday, but:
- Crunchbase is so messy and has incomplete lists of investors from Middle East, Africa as well as other exotic regions in a user-friendly way
- I don't really like investor Airtables due to their lack of consolidation
- Pitchbook and other services are too expensive
So I created a consolidated database that focuses on hot industries and more exotic regions Middle East and Africa, Asia (APAC) + small cap funds, which can help startups to get funding.
It took around 5-6 months to acquire first 50 customers that paid. The growth strategy was mostly content marketing in social media, Medium + I paid a great deal to SEO (correct wording and etc.) at start of the project. SEO takes some time but now Private Equity List has 1-3 ranks in google searches for some quires like "Gaming private equity", which brings great traffic to website.
Project is built on PHP, laravel, no challenges so far.
I use Ghost, Buffer, Canva for doing content marketing and writing articles.
What have been some of the biggest insights you've gained since starting your entrepreneurial journey?
- SEO is very important, start think about it at start of the project
- Don't waste money on design and google ads
- Content marketing can be the best acquisition channel
- Use scalable business modelsUser path (sign up and etc.) is very important
- Turn on monetisation as soon as possible
Playsit is a mobile social network for gamers, MVP is ready and now we are searching for funding and growth of app