BirdFlow by Scott Reaches $400 MRR in 5 Months
Table of Contents
- Tell us about your product and what inspired you to start it?
- How long did it take you to acquire your first 50 customers, and what was your growth strategy?
- Which technology stack are you using and what challenges and limitations does it pose?
- What are some of the most essential tools that you use for your business?
- What have been some of the biggest insights you've gained since starting your entrepreneurial journey?
- Your recommended books/podcasts/newsletters etc.:
- What other products are you working on? Anything else you want to mention about other products that we can cover?
I built Birdflow in one month as an experiment to see if I could create a simple product that does one tiny thing well, where users could see the value instantly and pay for it. It was mainly a project I built for fun, and born out of a frustration of building complex products with little traction.
Birdflow received hundreds of signups within the first few months, due to Product Hunt and the "My First Million" podcast. The product cannot have a free tier due to the way Twitter charges on a per-user basis for their API, so it was a challenge to convert customers. The best growth strategy was to offer free service to influencers.
I build all my products in Laravel (PHP) and Vue.js. I use MySQL or MongoDB depending on the projects. All products are hosted on AWS. I've been programming for over 20 years. My biggest challenge is marketing, not tech.
Development: VSCode, iTerm, Sequel Ace, GitHub, Laravel Forge
Debugging: Postman, Sentry
Business: Slack, Trello
What have been some of the biggest insights you've gained since starting your entrepreneurial journey?
- 90% of building a business is marketing it.
- Nobody cares how much time you put into building your product.
- Nobody cares how you built your product.
- Your product only needs to do one thing well.T
- he more niche you make your product, the better.
- Your product needs to solve a problem for someone you feel comfortable selling to.
My First Million
- B2B SaaS Marketing Snacks
- The SaaS Marketing Show
- Indie Hackers Podcast
What other products are you working on? Anything else you want to mention about other products that we can cover?
CrowdPower - $2,500 MRR - https://crowdpower.io
Saastic (New!)- $1k on AppSumo - https://saastic.com
ClosingBell (Sold!) - https://closingbell.co